Do you want to learn how to make a interactive waterfall flip piece to go into your albums?
Today I am sharing with you a layout I created in my 6×8 project life album for June 2020 using Ali Edwards June 2019 & 2020 ‘Stories by the month’ digital Kits’s.
I was just documenting a day in the garden with the kids when the sun was shining but I had so many photos from that day… I couldn’t choose just a few to add in my album. So, I decided to create a interactive piece to add ALL THE PHOTOS because hey, that’s how I roll. I paired a 3×4, 4×6 (4A) pocket page with a ‘out the pocket’ waterfall flip. And I love how it turned out. If you want to see how I brought this together…. keep reading.
Here is all the pieces I needed to create my waterfall flip.
If you want to re- create this for yourself… here is a list of exactly what I used. They are linked to where I got mine. (Not affiliated)
- 4 3/4” x 8” of strong white card stock (I actually used Matt photo paper 230gm)
- 4” x 8” white card stock
- 13x 3” x 4” white card stock
- 1 1/2” x 10” white card stock
- 2 1/2” x 14 1/2” white card stock
Pattern paper ( I used a digital journal card from Ali Edwards June 2020 ‘Stories by the month’ digital kit… printed on photo paper)
- 3 3/4” x 7 3/4”
- 2” x 7”
- 25x Photos printed at 2 3/4” x 3 3/4” (I used 23 photos and 2 digital journaling cards from Ali Edwards June 2019 ‘Stories by the month’ kit. One title card and one to add my journaling)
First let me explain the long piece of card stock that is scored…
This is a long piece, measuring at 2 1/2” x 14 1/2”… unless you have some A3 card stock you will have to improvise with this. I cut 2 strips of card stock at 2 1/2” from a A4 sheet of card stock then I used double sided sticky tape to attach them together. Then I cut it at 14 1/2”.
Don’t worry if you can see the attachment area because we will be covering it later with pattern paper.
Now for the scored bit…
Starting from the side that doesn’t have the attachment bit…. score at 4”… then every 1/4” until you get to 7”. There will be 13 score lines all together. After you have done that fold each score line both ways to prepare the paper and establish the folds. This will make it a smoother ‘pull’ after it’s all put together.
I have a Video explaining this much better… only the measurements are different.
Ok, now let’s get started…
I started off by backing all my photos on each side of the Matts I made’ apart from one which will be stuck to the bottom. Remember that these will be flipping up… so, on one side the photo should be upside down.
Note #1: it’s been so long since I created a waterfall flip that my memory was a bit cloudy, I blame baby brain. (I should of refreshed my memory before I started). Before I stuck down my photos I should of attached the smaller strip (1 1/2” x 10”) to make like a ‘T’ shape under where the bottom photo goes…(refer to the linked video tutorial above, this will make more sense). However, it didn’t matter too much… it just made it a bit more fiddly when I eventually got to that part. So, just remember if you re-create this… don’t make the same mistake I did.
Starting with the long piece of card stock on the side with the score lines… attach the bottom photo card fully. (The one with only one photo).
Then putting the tiniest little line of liquid glue (I used Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue) in the gussets avoiding the score lines, attach the flip up photo matts one by one. (Again refer to the above video tutorial for a better explanation). Until you get to the top and cover the last score line.
Then add some pattern paper to the rest of the long strip. The underside of it. And fold it under the photos…
Note #2 It was at this point I realised I should of attached the other smaller strip… I got side tracked trying to work out what I did wrong and stopped taking process photos (sorry). However, I did film a process video of me putting this together… watch it here.
So to recap the rest of the process… I matted the 4” x 8” white card stock with the 3 3/4” x 6 3/4” pattern paper then attached the waterfall flip to it by wrapping the small long strip (the ‘T’ shaped bit) around the back. Then punched some holes in the 4 3/4” x 8” strong white card stock using my Carpe Diem 6 whole punch and attached the whole waterfall flip to it. This is to keep it sturdy in the album.
After that was done… I got to the embellishing part of the process. I used the digital ‘chipboard’ elements from the June ‘Stories by the Month’ kit. I had also printed them off onto photo paper. I backed one little piece up with pop dots to give it a bit more dimension but inside the flips I kept the embellishments flat as to not bulk it up.
The pulley bit of the waterfall flip was a little bit tight to get a hold of so I added a Avery lapel tab to get a better grip. I just added a tiny word sticker to the lapel and it was good to go.
And there you go… one completed 6×8 project life layout completed. It took a little bit time but it was well worth it. What do you think? Are you going to try this in your album? If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. Leave me a comment in here or on my YouTube Channel. Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy story telling… see you in the next post.<div class='sharedaddy sd-block sd-like jetpack-likes-widget-wrapper jetpack-likes-widget-unloaded' id='like-post-wrapper-106457710-7060-628c42d66f25d' data-src='https://widgets.wp.com/likes/#blog_id=106457710&post_id=7060&origin=missrachelb.com&obj_id=106457710-7060-628c42d66f25d' data-name='like-post-frame-106457710-7060-628c42d66f25d' data-title='Like or Reblog'><h3 class="sd-title">Like this:</h3><div class='likes-widget-placeholder post-likes-widget-placeholder' style='height: 55px;'><span class='button'><span>Like</span></span> <span class="loading">Loading...</span></div><span class='sd-text-color'></span><a class='sd-link-color'></a></div>